Sunday, April 20, 2014

Squid guisado con vegetables


Easter Sunday morning and I woke up very late. Last night was a grueling writing task which found me fighting against sleep, slept at dawn. How many cups of coffee, and tea I was able to empty out last night? I certainly cannot remember. But I was just too focus with what I’m doing I can’t seem to notice about the time or whatever else anymore.

So here I am, waking up when the sun’s already up there in the sky for several hours and my eyes can’t still seem to distinguish reality from the surreal. I need something to eat right now, I’m hungry. A beautiful smile beamed on my wife's face when I met her in the kitchen.

“I cooked you something nice today,” she said. “Really, well what is it?” I asked. "It’s just a squid I bought in the wet market this morning while you were still sleeping but I only added some vegetables to make it a little different,” she explained. “Oh thank you, let me see if it tastes good,” I replied.

Before I could say anything next, I wolfed down the food. “Definitely one of the bests I’ve ever had tasted for this kind of food,” I told her. I took my cellphone out from my pocket and took a good picture of the food. “I’m going to blog this one out,” I said, “but only when I'm done eating.” I’m going to call it Squid guisado con vegetables:


Ingredients
½ kilo fresh squid
1 chayote sliced into smaller pieces
2 eggplants sliced into smaller pieces
2 bitter melons (ampalaya) sliced into smaller pieces
4 okras sliced twice each
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons olive oil
5 green chili peppers, sliced twice each
2 bell peppers, sliced twice each
2 tomatoes, sliced twice each
1 tablespoon honey
1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup water
Adding of monosodium glutamate seasoning is optional

How to cook
1. Clean the squids with water and cut them into smaller slices or you could cut them also into rings. Put them on a separate plate.
2. Pour down olive oil on a large skillet over medium heat fire. Fry garlic and onion until becoming golden brown in color.
3. Put the sliced squids and cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add 1 cup water and allow it to reach boiling point. Then add the salt, seasoning, soy sauce, and honey together into the mix.
5. Add the sliced vegetables okra, chayote, eggplant, and bitter melons. Stir for 3 minutes.
6. Add tomato, bell pepper, and green chili pepper. Simmer for another minute.
7. Transfer in a large glass bowl and serve.

2 comments:

  1. That dish looks very appetizing to me, and I bet it was extremely tasty too. I love okra - one of my favourite veggies. What is chayote as I've never ever heard of it? Is there a substitute to use instead? I just might try this recipe out. Say thanks to your wife mate. Yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your time reading this blog post of mine, mate. Squid guisado really tastes good aside from the fact that it's been made nutritious as well by adding vegetables. Mirliton is one other name I know about chayote which is from the squash family. White squash will be one best substitute if ever chayote is not available in the place where you live.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...