Life is too short and the living is not always an easy ride. If you try to listen to the news, the negative things are always in a war with the good ones for dominance. The world has become, as it’s been from the very beginning, a battleground between the forces of good and evil. But no matter how the world has become good or bad in the process and changed we should remember that, as citizens of this world, we have (individual) duties and obligations that we must carry out to make this planet a much better place in which to live. The following are, in my own opinion, just 5 of the things each one of us should be doing at least once in our lifetime:
1. Take time to plant trees. Planting trees is one of the best of gifts you can give to Mother Earth and for the future generations. Trees help create shades, filter pollution from the air, prevent soil erosion, provide a dwelling place for animals, help recycle water, and many more.
2. Take time to give to the needy. To freely share what you have to others (be it help, time, or money) without expectation or reward in return is one of the most rewarding of acts you can do for yourself. We must remember what Jesus had said: “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”
3. Take time to learn a new language. Learning a new language allows you to better understand other people’s culture and history. It is through this understanding that the gap between ignorance and cultural differences shall be bridged.
4. Take time to write a poem. While not all of us are born poets, you can still make a poet out of your own self. Poetry writing is one of the purest forms of expression while, at the same time, it reconciles you to the world. Be the poet that you are capable of making by writing down what you feel and think.
5. Take time to make a pilgrimage. It is an oldest form of religiousness. But wherever your journey may take you and for whatever reason motivating you to do it, one thing is certain though: it is to seek inspiration, by which one wants to gain a new perspective, for a change of mind and heart.